Saturday, January 1, 2011

Fête Des Rois

In France we celebrate the Kings, not the Kings of France but the three kings who were there when Jesus was born "Les Rois Mages".    Here is the special cake we eat starting January first.  It is a butter pastry with an almond filling, and there is a surprise inside  it is called a fève (used to be a dried bean) and whoever gets it is the King.  Usually the youngest person goes under the table and the cake is cut and the youngest tells who will have each part.
Usually when I cut in it, I always hit the surprise (fève)


1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Your cake looks very tasty....I love to read about other traditions and how it is celebrated.

Vacation time is over !!

    Today I can say "thirty years in waiting"  is finished I had made a queen size quilt with these fabrics and I missed it so tha...